ASK THE EXPERTS

ABOUT Legal Protections

Recent Answers

Ask a Question

Forum Directory

Q: Adoption rights

Hi,

I live in MN and I gave birth to my daughter about 8 years ago and when she was 18 months old my partner and I separated. She never legally adopted our daughter but we have worked out spilt custody. I am now married but my ex asked me today if she could adopt our daughter with the 2nd parent adoption. I don't know if this would be accepted by the court as we are no longer together and I am married to someone else, or if i have the right to say no. I would love some advice.

Thanks.

A: Response from Joyce Kauffman

Thanks for asking this important question. The law about who can adopt varies from state to state and you really should consult with an attorney in Minnesota. I would suggest you contact the ACLU of Minnesota for a referral: American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota

2300 Myrtle Ave, Suite 180 Saint Paul, MN 55114 Phone: 651-645-4097 ** Fax: 651-647-5948 Email: support@aclu-mn.org

Good luck.

Terms of Use

Please remember that this forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not engaged through this forum in rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional. Unfortunately, the experts cannot answer every question they receive or diagnose specific health conditions over the internet.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. None of the collaborating websites at which the experts are carried is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Questions and messages posted to this forum are not statements of advice, opinion, or information of Family Equality Council or any of its collaborating sites. We reserve the right to delete, move, or edit postings if we deem it appropriate under the circumstances. Visitors submitting questions remain solely responsible for the content of their messages.